Strawberry Mojito Ice Cream is EXACTLY as awesome as it sounds. Creamy with fresh strawberries, mint, rum, and a splash of lime. Celebrate in style.
- 2½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
- ½ cup coconut rum
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 large egg yolks
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN: This recipe calls for an ice cream churn. You can use any kind you like, but make sure if you are using the countertop variety, that you put the canister in the freezer while you mix up the sweet cream base and let it chill so everything is ready to go at the same time.
- Place the strawberries, rum, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl and stir to coat. Let the berries macerate in the rum and sugar for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the heavy cream, strawberries and lime zest. Bring it just to a simmer, stir, and then remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla and mint extracts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yolks. Stirring constantly, add about ½ cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks. This helps to temper them, cooking them super slowly and bringing the temperature up gradually. Whisk in another ½ cup of the hot liquid, and then one more.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Scrape the mixture into a container and cover. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Add the chilled base to the canister of your ice cream churn, and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- You can eat the ice cream now — it’s ready! But it will have a more soft serve consistency.