Layers of corn tortillas, spicy shredded pork, caramelized onions, and loads of cheese make this Easy Cheesy Tamale Casserole a family favorite! Just a few ingredients and not much effort turn out one of my favorite cheesy dinner recipes.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Serves: serves 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1.5 – 2 pounds lean boneless pork (you can use chops or a tenderloin cut into medallions)
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10-12 yellow corn tortillas
- 3 cups Sargento® Fine Cut 4 Cheese Mexican
- sliced jalapenos to garnish
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium stock pot. Add the pork and brown it on all sides over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the pork is fork-tender (approximately 30 mins).
- While the pork cooks, add the remaining teaspoon of oil to a medium skillet. Add the onions and sprinkle them with the salt. Cook over medium heat until they are caramelized and soft.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 3 quart casserole with non-stick cooking spray. Layer 4-5 tortillas across the bottom. Cover with 1 cup of the cheese.
- When the pork is tender, lift it from the pot with a slotted spoon. Shred and spread half over the cheese. Spoon salsa over the pork. Then top the pork with half of the caramelized onions. Repeat the layers ending with 2-3 tortillas across the top. Cover the tortillas with the remaining cup of cheese. Add the sliced jalapenos.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. You are just heating everything through and melting the cheese.
- Serve hot with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocados, and sour cream.